A hacker at work? IP 80.46.128.141

Indeed Frank. I think we can now safely refer to him as the "half baked Bean"

Cheers tox

Reply to
Crash Bang Wallop

Scanning an IP address for open ports is *not* 'unauthorised[sic] access'.

Only if the port is open, allows a connection and then begins exchanging information has there been 'access'. There is a certain onus on the computer user to at least *try* to secure their system. If you have NetBios port open and a few others, you're *inviting* hackers into your system. Lock down the ports you don't need open.

has some good open port detection stuff and background info.

The easiest comparison is someone is going through the neighborhood checking to see if all the doors are locked. In olden times, the police themselves would do this while walking a beat. If someone finds the door unlocked, but doesn't open it or walk in, they are not guilty of illegal entry. But what fool leaves their door unlocked and then complains if someone comes in??

My ISP regularly scans all of its customers systems for open ports on number

80, 119 and 25. This is because their terms of use do not allow private web, news or mail servers without pre-arranged contract.

There are *thousands* of 'script-kiddies' out there running port scanners on all the broad-band ISP's IP range. If you just signed up with a broad band ISP, get yourself a firewall (ZoneAlarm makes a free version).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

While that sometimes will work, sometimes it won't. My ISP (Time Warner's RR) reserves the IP address for 24 hours. When I power off the modem and computer, if I power it back up before the original DHCP IP lease expired, I get the same IP back again.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

No, I am not mistaken. The information posted in the header is not normally viewed. To take it from the header and then to publish it in a posting is clearly malicious, and, indeed, somewhat childish.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Unfortunately, you are not right.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Unfortunately, you are not right.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Any attempt to connect to a computer system which has not been authorised is illegal under Brit Law.

Unless the IP and port no have been specifically published with authorisation for access, then any attempted access is illegal.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Oh yes, it is, under Brit Law!

In order to scan a port, you must attempt an access to the IP address of a computer system. Unless you are duly authorised, then you commit a criminal act.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I've already done a stealth scan of your system, Meester Blofield. You have many more open ports than Airy, he has but one - port 80 which looks like a web interface probably within his modem. Why is he so concerned about people scanning him when he's not running any services? I thought he was an expert in these matters.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

If it's illegal, contact the police.

Reply to
Duncan Munro

Which page of your £350 law book does that little gem appear on? ...(_!_)...

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

A good question. I wonder what he has to hide......................

73

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Good idea, he's told us before on many previous trolls about his contacts within Wiltshire (or 'Well-Shite' in his words)Constabulary.

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

So there is no crime committed by a person who goes down the street trying every car door to see if it's locked?

73 de G3NYY
Reply to
Walt Davidson

Then I assume you have prior written permission to access every web site you visit?

;-)

73 de G3NYY
Reply to
Walt Davidson

Any connection with that Special Brew can on the Job Centre window sill?

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

"Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI" wrote in news:brfjja$2th5o$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-201868.news.uni-berlin.de:

I doubt it, Most ISP dhcpd's are set up to retain the address for 24 hours or so - or until they run out of un-allocated IP's. If it is necessary to force a change in IP, this can be done in Windows, exactly how depends on variety. A release and renew may change the IP, if it returns the same IP, then disconnect and stay disconnected until the IP on reconnection is different - If we are lucky, this may take a week or so!

Of course, this is a better alternative. If you do not use your connection, then there is little chance of others discovering your IP and thus compromising your security.

Remember too that most "anonomising" services are not. A knowledgeable user can trace back through these services as can the "authorities". Think of the spammers, who go to great lengths to hide their ID & IP. These days they have to go to court to protect their systems. US justice supports big business!

Support Spamhaus!

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

But is *is* 'revealed' (your word) by the mechanics of the Internet traffic and is is no way secret.

I'm highly surprised that someone of your claimed status - qualifications in computing, electronics, and psychology; attendance at an avant-garde university; many years on usenet - should make such statements, and, further, to fail to take such precautions against the obvious as those who do not have your claimed wealth of experience clearly have done.

Did you also say you were a software consultant?

Reply to
Me

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:09:20 -0000, "Airy R. Bean" Gave us:

It is YOU that is incorrect, you retarded, top posting, Usenet twit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:11:47 -0000, "Airy R. Bean" Gave us:

A port scan is NOT "an attempt to access", dipshit.

Unless an attachment to that port, and actual access to your machine takes place, there is no access. Pretty simple shit, and all the baby bullshit pissing and moaning that you pull in here will not change that fact.

A port scan is not an illegal access, because port scanning does not perform any access attempt.

Got clue?

Reply to
DarkMatter