A hacker at work? IP 80.46.128.141

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in news:brfpf3$2unbj$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217727.news.uni-berlin.de:

God help any strangers who knock on your front door then - unsolicited callers, etc....

Do you report them to the 'Well-Shite' Constabulary of Britland?

Reply to
Leigh

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in news:brfpf4$2unbj$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217727.news.uni-berlin.de:

The often used response, usually when defeat is to be shown to Gareth, finally gets posted.

Well done boys - I think we've won this one.

Leigh....

Reply to
Leigh

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in news:brh4h9$39le1$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-217727.news.uni-berlin.de:

What's "Brit", is it another pseudonym for Gareth. English law is applicable here.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Airy.

just report the ip-address, make a statement, and sit back and let a judge decide. let the police take it from there.

if it turns out to be harmless..fine!

if not...questions will have to be answered by the 'subject'

Reply to
class_a_zpk_12wpm_unlike_2800

"Dave {Reply Address in.sig}" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@robinton.llondel.org:

I don't suppose that he would know what a log is, let alone how to post an extract.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

"XLT" wrote in news:WiYCb.2856$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net:

Yet, at least one ISP port scans its broadband customers several times each day. Before I switched to ADSL, my logrotate ran all to frequently.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Web sites which are published and included in directories have an open invitation.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Grow up, OM

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Grow up, OM.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

And they don't carry guns (unless that recently changed).

The fact that police can enforce the law this way says something about their society, while the US's need for SWAT teams says something about ours :-(

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Grow up, OM.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Grow up, OM

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

It is illegal under the Computer Misuse Act in Britland.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

You would be surprised how many do.

Sadly they don't enforce the law.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Coppers!

Reply to
Dave Holford

The trouble with such a law is it is written by people that don't know anything about networks.

What identification have you placed on your IP address to show that it is

*not* a public web server, news server or whatever? Have you somehow posted it as private property? If you claim no need to, then how do you identify machines that are 'public'? All the routers, servers need a special 'tag' that lets you know it can be accessed?? How do your courts decide if the 'tag' was legitimate or put their by vandals?? It can't be done with IP4 (still widely used).

How can anyone in Brit determine if an IP address is public or private

*before* doing a port scan to see if it's hosting a web server on port 80, or news on 119?

By your logic, you can't surf a web site because the name resolves to an IP and you have no way of knowing if that IP has authorized you to access it. In fact, the DNS resolution probably came from yet another third party (non-authoritative answer). So the IP could be out of date, or redirected, or whatever. Yet you and your web browser are surfing merrily along completely indifferent to what you claim is Brit law. Maybe someone should file a complaint about your unauthorized use of one of the machines between yours and your favorite web site. Do a tracert and see just how many machines you're 'accessing' by your lame logic.

Ever get a '404' error while surfing? Probably because you have just tried 'unauthorized access' to a machine. Better go turn yourself in before they track you down. It will only go harder on you if you keep hiding.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Unless the person has to cross clearly marked property to do it, no. Even walking up your front walkway to the door is not criminal. Unless you've posted your property line and placed a barrier (i.e. fence), you have already given tacit agreement to allow public access up your walkway to the front door. Trying the knob to see if its locked is no crime. What you do when you find one unlocked is what's important.

As I say, some communities used to have a 'beat cop' do this at night in business districts. It was a way of helping shop-keepers be sure they locked up.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Yeah, that gets to be a tricky one. Here in US, many states have laws against possession of 'burglary tools'. Often this means a layman having locksmith tools. But it *has* been used for someone carrying a hammer and crow-bar. It isn't a felony (at least I don't think), but hey, I have several tools that could be considered 'burglary tools' if used in the wrong way.

Much like the little-old lady that has a kitchen knife for slicing watermelon. In the wrong context, such a knife could be considered a deadly weapon. Yet she can buy one a Wal-Mart and leave it in her kitchen drawer with little fear of being arrested.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Yes, answering further - the criminal at IP address 80.46.128.141 made in excess of 3000 attempts to access a single non-standard port address. Therefore he must have already done a scan to have located the port and now was making malicious attempts to access it.

There is no way that that can be considered to be normal lawful behaviour, even in the lawless USA where people are imprisoned without trial, without legal representation and are tortured, as the USA is doing in Guantanamo bay. (Makes the German and Japanese behaviour in WWII seem civilised.)

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Creative and quite funny!.....

Reply to