US Rockets failure to deliver "Save Rocketry Now" prize

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 20:04:35 -0600, Kevin Trojanowski

Could there actually be another explanation. One in which everyone is telling the truth? I know for example that Jerry's email aggressively filters emails from certain domains (yahoo, to my personal knowledge). So maybe people really have sent him emails, and perhaps the reason that they have gone unanswered is that he really hasn't received them.
Just speculation (except for the part about emails from yahoo).
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

In conversations with the people who've been having the problems? No. They got replies early on, then they suddenly stopped. Look at the response they get when they ask publicly; hardly pleasant.
Oh, and Richard Burney got sworn at in the email reply he FINALLY got from Jerry.
-Kevin
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 06:55:53 -0600, Kevin Trojanowski

I'm not trying to excuse that sort of behaviour.
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

How about those JI motors that were shipped to the UK, under the table, so to speak?? (:-)
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:35:42 -0500, "W. E. Fred Wallace"

Well, I don't really know how they were shipped here. They never went on the market, so I never got the opportunity to try one.

Yahoo and other 'free' mail sources are heavily used by spammers. Many ISPs now use DNSRBLs to reject mail from known spammers. I know that every now and then even my account that I post these messages from starts rejecting mail from Yahoo as it hits some threshold and is declared a spam source. Then all those stupid yahoo group mail messages start bouncing back to yahoo as well.
I'm sure the same thing happens to other free mail sources, not just yahoo. That's what you get when you use a 'free' mail provider.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

A good portion of the spam I get lists AOL as its "from" address. I don't get a great deal that lists Yahoo or other free services.
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

A general note:
The 'from' address will never give you the correct answer on exactly where the spam came from. Check out the ip addy in the header and do a reverse dns lookup followed by a tracert and more than anything you'll find the offending host. An more than likely the offending host is a incorrectly config'd relay host. More and more now I'm actually finding out the host is just some goobers non-patch windows system which would also would be a infected *zombie* pc.
At work I apply this same technique for email viruses. Then I contact the isp(phone only) and report the ip. If the isp is worth their worth the offending PC user gets a *greeting* from their isp and I get my mail *clean* server back.
Sam Spade makes all this much less of a chore
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Yep, I know. Just pointing out that I see more AOL spoofs than anything else.
-Kevin

Much spam has forged from addresses. You can't tell where it came from by reading wha's int he "to" field. You have to crack the headers and reverse translate the IP addresses. SPAMCOP.NET does this for you.
In addition to the DNSRBL, many sights reverse translate the IP address, and reject mail if the name and address don't match. This too reduces spam, but sometimes trips up some legitimate mail.
Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Every time that I wrote to Jerry in the past about ordering products from US Rockets, I received a prompt reply. Many times Jerry would send me a direct comment about things I'd said here on rmr. Curiously, when I politely inquired about when my SRN prize would ship, I received absolutely no response, until (weeks later) I finally stated (publically on rmr) that this was what had occurred.
You can draw your own conclusions.
David Erbas-White
P.S. Same email address used EVERY time, both in sending to him, and my 'reply-to' address.
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 08:49:43 -0800, David Erbas-White

Then my theory clearly doesn't apply to you.

It does not apply at all in this case.

YOU had the event several MONTHS LATE.
YOU provided several "prize winners" with no address at all and confusion over what they even won.
80 or so prize winners fully satisfied. 4 or so not resolved. Care to help me resolve your errors? That would be just peachy.
Jerry
No good deed goes unpunished.

NO claims for exchanges went unanswered. Ever.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

So, you're saying that because the Presidents of NAR and Tripoli decided to delay things, this somehow caused you to not have the items on hand? That's rich.

Let's get that one straight right now. Nobody who has complained was someone for whom I cannot provide an address. As for the duplicate, I offered to pay you for that extra item, myself. You declined. Now you want to someone use that to justify your inability to deliver?

I offered, bucko, you declined. The errors of YOURS still haven't been resolved, and they've received belligerence and excuses.

Yeah, so I've noticed. I'm still taking crap for being stupid enough to trust you to hold to your word. As usual, of course, rather than step up and admit that you didn't follow through, you're blaming either the recipient, or someone else. Because nothing is ever your fault, yet problems seem to follow you everywhere you go.
-Kevin
Have you tried to use those E12 motors yet. All of the Ellis E12 motors I've seen have a huge failure rate. Like 80%. I contacted them directly and got no response. Funny, because when i contacted them months before just to ask a question about their products I got a response.
My reaction to this was to place a $500 order for Aerotech motors.
;)
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector http://www.sirius.com
shreadvector wrote:

Do you have any specifics on the mode of failure on the smaller Ellis SU motors? I haven't actually seen any Ellis motors lit but I have heard that the failure rate is rather high. Some of those Ellis SU motors would be perfect for my smaller stuff, but I'd also would like to *keep* my smaller stuff.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Two modes: 1) Blow apart at ignition. And "NO" the nozzle was in no way clogged or obstructed by the igniter! 2) Motor ignites fine and the rocket proceeds to great altitude and at the moment when propellant burnout should occur, the motor casing is blown to bits. Not much left of those rockets.
Until the manufacturer publicly states what is wrong and how they intend to fix it, I personally suggest not using them at all.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshr ...
http://www.sirius.com
Fred, almost two years ago I tried one of those single use Ellis Mountain J125's(?) and the motor catoed on the pad. That same day one or two more of the same motor catoed at that launch (Nebraska Heat VII). Years earlier I remember seeing multiple Ellis Mountain M1000's catoing at a number of launches I attended during 1998 and 1999. Cato, er, Ellis Mountain definitely doesn't have the best rep.
When I saw that I won a set of motors from Ellis Mountain (cato problems) and a kit from US Rockets (Jerry's mixed record), I wondered if Kevin or whoever pulled my tickets was having a sense of humor.;)

I've received an e-mail from an expert who says the problems are due to the non-repeatable quality of modern phenolic tubing.
That is why many have shifted to other casing materials.
--
-Fred Shecter
remove zorch two places to reply