O.T. - On Target...

Sounds like a fellow that I knew once a long time ago. Dave Rosenberg worked at the Pentagon, and his department (basically him and his secretary) was in charge of making up those cultural pamphlets given to servicemen going overseas to study so as not to become the "ugly American". He was good at his job, but all he seemed to be concerned about was the state of the State of Israel. He didn't even seem to care much about the United States. This was back in the early '70s. Haven't seen him since, although I heard that he moved to Jerusalem upon his retirement.

The Old Timer

Sorr, I missed it. That's why I asked again.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Which we'll have if a democratically-elected Iraq government allows us to maintain permanent bases. I wouldn't want it any other way.

God forbid that we should generate ill will amongst our enemies! Perhaps we should seriously consider Mr. Kerry's 'more sensitive' war. Kumbaya....

Agreed.

I certainly hope so.

I mean bases out away from major metropolitan areas. Near the Syrian, Saudi, and Iranian borders would probably be ideal.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Sorry - my mistake.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Probably from the same place the French got the nerve to participate in naval exercises with the PRC....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Don't be ridiculous. It's in our *own* interests to have military forces permanently stationed in the Middle East. If it happens to benefit the Israelis as well, so be it - they _are_ our allies, after all.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

One is - now we're engaged in a low-level conflict.

That's not what Bush said. He stated that 'major combat' was over, and it is.

There's still the greater war on Islamofascism and that's bound to drag on for years yet. Sort of like the Cold War....

You mean the one that's brought umemployment down to 5.4%, lower than it was when Clinton ran for re-election? That policy?

I don't think you've even read the Republican platform, Tom.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

No need to wait. Mr. Bush's people have already ordered it.

SamVanga

"Al Superczynski" wrote

As a favor to the rest of the world, please stop using this idiotic Limbaugh-ism. (It is exactly the type of mush-headed gibberish you'd expect to come from the soiled and ulcered lips of a drug addict.) Fascism requires a state. These fanatics do not want anything so modern. They are fighting statism. They are religious fanatics of the muslim stripe, but that distinction hardly makes a difference. Why don't you use "Irrationalists" or "Religious Fanaticism"? (I can guess a reason: Using those terms would imply that Christian or Jewish fanatics are no better, or that all strong irrational beliefs are a threat to civilization. Both points are completely true, of course, but they're quite uncomfortable to the "Shoot the Abortion Doctor and Ban the Teaching of Evolution" Limbaugh-ist crowd.)

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Refresh my memory- Have we participated in joint naval exercises with the PRC, or am I thinking of some US naval vessels paying courtesy calls at Chinese ports several years ago? I know we were developing a radar unit for their F-8 fignter until Tienanmin occured. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Remind me again what they have done for us, besides spying on us. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Here here, Kurt- Al, although I rarely agree with you, your opinions are usually reasoned. This is more for the throbbing forehead vein crowd. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Oh, geez. Are you sure Mineta hasn't been put in charge of Homeland Security? :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I have the _world_ as an audience?? There's gotta be a way to make some money off this...... ;-p

mush-headed gibberish you'd expect

I don't know that Limbaugh originated the term. Do you? Anyway, it's widely used by both the right and the left (barking moonbats excluded). It's especially prevalent on blogs, which I admittedly have a penchant for.

Their ultimate goal *is* a state. A worldwide seventh-century caliphate under Sharia law. I'm not guessing or supposing - they've made many public statements to that effect.

Why not Muslim Terrorists or Whabbi Fanatics? A rose by any other name, etc. Besides, I like the way 'Islamofascist' rolls off the tongue.

You'd be wrong. I prefer the term because they're Islamist extremists. It is they that chose the variety of Islam that they want to 'defend', not I.

My opinions are not shaped by Rush Limbaugh. I don't even agree with many of Bush's policies; why would I embrace Limbaugh? The fact that *some* of my views are shared with specific individuals doesn't mean I support *all* of _their_ views.

The abortion battle was fought in the 70s - I don't like the outcome but what we have now is the law of the land. I can live with it.

As for school subjects, I'm for freedom of speech.

I get the impression that you think all Christians are in lockstep with Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Here's a newsflash for you - we're not.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

The latter. We've also made courtesy calls to Viet Nam and the late and unlamented Soviet Union. Big deal.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Osirak.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Censorship. Boooooooooooooooooooo!

WmB

WmB

How about Islam-o-terrorists or allah's xenopbes or, perhaps Muslim bad boys, or ..... oh, never mind :~)

-- -- My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Don't worry, Al. I've applied for a couple GS-15 jobs in DHS for after I retire early next summer. If I get hired, I'll do my best to re-center their common sense back to local vertical again. ;~)

-- -- My home page:

" In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

Reply to
Bill Woodier

You'll evidently have to *find* it for them first. :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski