Union Pacific not a scrooge

Here's a direct link to their logo:

Mark Mathu

I see in the Kato ad at the back of the February MR that they now explicitly say $5 extra for the UP license.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

As if you knew the first damn thing about it

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Yes but you are talking about engines over $100 list. What is $5 more.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

You're kidding, right?

They won't audit your books -

They'll simply not grant you a license;

And then you'll be using their logo without their authorization:

And then the shoe will be on the other foot.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Sigh. It's not just the money, it's the controls that UP would put on the hobby. Each product must be presented to UP for a decision. And they don't want a mock-up or a "beta", they want a production model. This means that a manufacturer has to make the item before receiving permission. If UP ever said no, said manufacturer would take a huge financial hit. After one or two of these, they would most likely be out of business. UP-like actions across the board would also result in a situation like the car kit hobby, where licensing costs are the same as tooling costs (as seen in a recent "Model Retailer" magazine article). As such, new products are infrequent due to the red tape and the cost. Re-releases become more common...

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Exactly. Even though the UP's 12-31-02 application for a C&NW trademark has not yet been granted -- and may never be.

Would you buy a used car from someone who said "Well, I don't really own it yet -- but I might at some time in the future"?

JR Hill

Reply to
Jim Hill

Or you will be distributing "unlettered" products and letting the modeler do the lettering.

Reply to
wannand

You love me Steve, why?

Reply to
MrRathburne

It's your big ass man, that's all. Steve

Reply to
Jerry

Fine. There comes a point where I believe you have to bite the bullet and quit taking the cheap way out. (Easy for me to say, since I'm not selling commercially). Let 'em take me to court. Innocent until proven guilty. They'll look really stupid when they find out I wasn't lying. "UP sues model railroad mfr. Finds he out he wasn't lying after all" Then pay up for what you produced after the fact, or suspend production while the case is pending.

As I said, I'm not selling, so that doesn't bother ME except theoretically (lovely word, ain'a?). I'm just sick of people rolling over because it's cheaper than fighting the good fight. Of course, being fought into bankruptcy IS another matter entirely, and understandable for the small mfr. I'm not completely unreasonable in this matter. Choose your fights wisely. If you KNOW you're right, then fight.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Parasite.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Are you referring to "Broderbund" clip art?

"Broderbund" is the name under which the company does business, and it has a registered trademark (Serial Number 73413436, Registration Number 1306829) for that name when used in connection with the sale of computer software, including the "ClickArt" clip-art graphics application. The tradename "ClickArt" is also a registered trademark (Serial Number 73479993, Registration Number 1316792).

The clip-art itself is not trademarked but IS protected by copyright, which is automatic (does it strike you as odd that a company selling clip-art software for use in creating "business publications" would want a license if you actually USE the software for its intended purpose . . . :-)

The difference between the UP and Broderbund is this: Broderbund sells its products under its trademarked name. The UP, on the other hand, does NOT make or sell model trains under any of the fallen-flag railroad names it wants to trademark.

JR Hill

Reply to
Jim Hill

Because UP has a bunch of rich lawyers and execs who need bonus money. The hate railfans and modelers and wonder why they loose jury trials.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Spoken like a true democrat. What is 5 percent, pay up, shut up.

Reply to
MrRathburne

If you support your company the way you think I should support the UP, you sir, ought to be fired tomorrow if not sooner.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Now you are getting it Rathhole. If you don't want to pay buy another road name. That surely isn't to hard for you to grasp, is it?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

some years ago, I ran a business that, among other things, sold comics and related clothing. A major line was the products owned , made, or licensed by Disney. We routinely were sent newsletters from our distributor with news related to our product lines.

One item which stuck in my head was a release from Disney. It stated that they had been forced to come down on a restaurant (I think in New York....memory fades) that had been using Disney images without permission. They indicated that they had no actual objection to any of the images, nor to the restaurant, but had to protect their copyrights or they became public domain.

The settlement goes to show what kind of operation Disney was, and may still be. They stated that they required the restaurant to properly acknowledge all copyright ownership by Disney and sign a licensing agreement. My memory of the fee was $1 per year.

If anyone from Disney has better info please correct me if I am wrong.

Free advertising and still protected copyrights. John H.

Reply to
NERD

No offense John, but scenery will be the cheapest thing on any layout. With a little time and patience and careful looking around, you can grab several things free and utilize them.

Try taking that same pile of wood and making a locomotive (the most expensive thing on your layout).

You basically have two choices, cheap plastic Locos from Bachman ($35-75) or high quality, high priced locos from one of several distributors ($125-400).

I for one want my layout to look good, so I will be looking at the better line of rolling stock and locomotives. I plan on buying one of each type of car and then seeing if dupicates can be scratch built.

But I don't think you can scratch build a locomotive... The three I want for my layout will be my largest purchase ( 2 @ 4-4-0 and 1 @ 2-8-0)

Reply to
wannand

Steve, what happens when that roadname follows suit? Tax and spend baby, that is all you know. That and surrender.

Reply to
MrRathburne