Union Pacific not a scrooge

Put it on Gerald's dollar model page, if you haven't already!

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

I was using the clipart as my logo for my publications. I asked permission, they gave it to me for no charge. THAT was the point I was making.

UP can protect their trademarks and not charge anything for it.

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Of course you can scratchbuild a loco. Many people have done it over the years, and in spite of rtr it remains a popular activity.

Have a look at this 4-4-0 under construction:

Or for something a bit exotic, try:

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Any halfway decent IP attorney will tell you that doing such offers little or no protection in the eyes of the courts. Nearly all legal counsel will advise you that free licensing agreements are a very bad idea when it comes to protecting trademarks...

Reply to
Sean S

More typical manager bullshit - I don't think the same way you do, so I should be fired. Well, if my employer was to engage in a practice I considered to be grossly unethical, I wouldn't support them at all.

But if you're in any way representative of the people running the shop at UP, I'd say that another fallen flag is in the offing...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Speaking of supporting your company, you stated way back in the thread that UParasite was protecting it's intellectual property from 'inappropriate' use.

I asked how having an HO scale boxcar in UParasite paint and lettering was inappropriate.

The silence was deafening. Still is.

Thought of an answer yet?

(Maybe you better ask your boss to tell you what you think.)

Reply to
Mark Newton

I stand corrected, you can scratch build a locomotive. I looks to be beyond me, but it can be done. I think I will stick with purchasing the Locos and attempting to scratch the rolling stock.

Thanks Mark

Reply to
wannand

Will, you might think it's beyond you now, but that's mainly because you haven't tried it yet! :-)

Certainly it's a good idea to start developing your skills by scratchbuilding some rolling stock, as you have suggested you'll do. But the skills needed to do that are exactly the same as those needed to build a loco, there's just a bit more work involved.

Is there a club near you where you can spend some time, picking the brains of more experienced modellers? While being a clubbie is not for everbody, much useful knowledge can be gained from your fellow members, and useful experience gained by participating in club projects.

Failing that, there have been some good books and articles published over they years on the subject of scratchbuilding steam locos. Most have been written primarily for the novice scratchbuilder, and are an invaluable addition to your modelling library.

Anway, if you want to discuss this further, you're welcome to email me.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

[...]

Hot solder vs cold glue :)

I hear there is one in Bracebridge, about 30KM south of me.

Thanks Mark.

Right now my budget is limited, I have just started a new company (6 months ago) and it is slowly ramping up. Still trying to catch up with startup expenses and pay back a couple of loans.

Is there a location online that has some tips and hints for scratch building rolling stock and buildings?

Reply to
wannand

no protection in the eyes of the courts< No decent attorney will tell anyone anything that does not lead to a following income. For goodness sake folks they teach it in school.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Human #1 has never worn a seat belt while in his car. He's never had an accident. He's never been injured.

One day he decides to start fastening his seat belt to keep from getting injured in case he has an accident.

Human #2 tells him that he can't start wearing his seat belt because he's never been injured.

Not much of argument, I'm afraid.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Huh? What on earth does that have to do with Trademark or copywrite law?

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Ahh, but you're operating under the assumption that the LAW is LOGICAL...

Joe Ellis ? CEO Bethlehem-Ares Railroad - A 1:160 Corp. ___a________n_mmm___mmm_mmm_mmm___mmm_mmm_mmm___mmm_n______ ___|8 8B| ___ /::::: / /::::X/ /:::::/ /:::::/|| ||__BARR| | | /::::::/ /:::::X /:::::/ /:::::/ ||

---------------------------------------------------------------- [(=)=(=)=(=)=(=)] |_________________________| [(=)=(=)=(=)=(=)] =============Serving America's Heartland Since 1825=============

Reply to
Joe Ellis

OK, not sure what that has to do with the Union Pacific's logo debate, but I agree it is not much of an argument Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jerry) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

A serious modeler would scratchbuild his locomotives and most other parts of his layout, the way that folks did a few years ago. At least, he would do a *lot* of superdetailing on what he purchased. Do you meet either of those standards? Or do you just flop open the checkbook and buy whatever is in the hobby shop that's r-t-r?

I freely admit that, at this point, I am an R-T-R and kit modeler. How about you?

Reply to
Woodard R. Springstube

Gordon Odegard did a beauty of a job in his 7-part series in MR starting back in September (?) of '82 and continuing at 2-month intervals until November (?) of '83. It convinced me I just MAY be able to do this once I have a vice for the drill press.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Oh, I agree with you 100% regarding the fallen flags. But I don't think there's any doubt regarding their modern marks.

My real concern, which has been expressed by others, is what opening this can or worms means to the rest of us non UP modelers. For years model railroad use of marks has just been accepted by the companies as being beneficial. UP's action virtually demands that the other roads follow along with some kind of licensing program lest they lose the rights to their own modern logos.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Except, of course, the steam program was all about marketing, promotion, and corporate relations. Any benefit to the railfans was entirely incidental. For a bloke who claims to be well placed in UP, you display an alarming lack of insight into how the business works...

Reply to
Mark Newton

That's my stance. They haven't kept alive the old marks, so paws off. I won't contest the UP shield and slogans. That would be, well, stupid. The law is definitely on UP's side for the shield, shield with wings, etc. Jerry notwithstanding, I wouldn't be stupid enough to contest THAT, just the fallen flags and acquisitions/mergers.