Union Pacific not a scrooge

Only from September to June, eh!

Reply to
wannand

Get your head out of the fish. This is about them being able to say if you can build that or not. They have the right to determnine that. YOU DON"T HAVE THE RIGHT. They don't have to be damaged in any way to have that right. If you don't understand that you are just plain assed dumb. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Only in the East, where they have special roads, out here in the West we use dog sleds or reindeer with sleighs.

John H.

Reply to
NERD

Blasting off down an unfamiliar trail or lake at 80 mph is stupid and can get you seriously dead. With the twisty trails I had to follow I seldom got much above 25 except in short stretches. The whoop-de-doos were particularly challenging (one area was used by motocrossers in the summer). There was one stretch of old closed off road that was straight, flat, and a mile long. I'd blast down that with the throttle wide open (60 mph), but then, but that was before there were deer in the area.

Yep, it was fun while we had them.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Almost 24 hours and still no statistics. He's either looking it up or bluffing.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

"JCunington" <

[Snip]

My comment Jay was really directed at riding any "open" motor vehicle in the winter. :-)

Me? I prefer to be warm, which I why I moved from Montreal to Victoria. At least here, if it goes down to minus 5 or 7 C it's only for a day or two and then, as now, is back up to plus 5 or 6 at night. Montreal and other parts of Quebec are currently experiencing night-time temps as low as -43C. Far to bloody cold for me.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I can't see how that goes either for or againt railfans being some of the biggest thieves of railroad property that there is. Knuckles weigh the same for railfans and vandals.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Bluffing.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Vandals usually just paint the place up. Thieves usually steel items, not really heavy stuff, but smaller items. Usually when something winds up missing there has been recent railfan activity. Thus the assumption that railfans are usually a classless lot. They are always getting on RR property to take pictures or some crap like that, not heeding posted signs stating not to do so. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

It is just something the railroad industry knows. I have heard that statement many times. I don't know where the stats are but how do you think you, the railfans, got such a reputation if you are as sweet and pure as you say. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

We all know which it is....................

Reply to
MrRathburne

Go play with your cardboard trains you took measurement of, oh yea, those were models weren't they. NOT

Reply to
Jerry

You admit you are full of crap. Thanks for finally coming clean.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Yep! I can understand that without agreeing it is the best approach to photo taking.

However, it's kinda hard dragging off railroad items while clutching 1 to 3 or more cameras I would think.

In the last week I have heard locomotive air horns in the middle of two seperate shopping Mall parking lots. Since we are miles from the nearest railroad I would assume that someone has mounted them under the hood of their vehicle. I would also hazard a guess that the nearest railroad yard is missing some air horns.

Somehow I doubt these two individuals are exactly what I or you would call a railfan. But it's certainly possible the railroad would.

Reply to
Art Marsh

Jerry,

The main issue is a liability one. Even with all the posted signs forbidding it, should a tresspasser get injured or killed on railroad property or railroad controlled space the railroad would be liable. They can reduce their liability by having proof that the actively discourage all tresspassing.

On one of the full scale sites (maybe AR or MTRA) there is an owner of a shortline who posts regularly. He has stated such in the past and I am certain he would be happy to answer any of our questions if he at all can do so. I.e., no UP questions as he is not part of the UP.

Reply to
Art Marsh

Will, have a look at this site:

Also worth bookmarking.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Dear sirs, I could not see your whole thread, but if you are looking for information on scratchbuilding locomotives I would suggest you visit this page:

There are a lot of Britons building model engines and they publish plenty of stuff on the Internet, too.

Cordially yours, Gerard Pawlowski

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

Actually Gerard, I was looking for building plans suitable for an 1880s layout.

I just mentioned that the time period suited 4-4-0s pulling 34' Overtons or

34' Truss Rod box, stock, flat, gondola and reefer units.
Reply to
wannand

If you are looking for info on 1800's era railroad equipment I suggest you go to Yahoo.com, look under 'Groups' and do a search for 'Early Rail'. Lots of info on equipment, such as paint schemes etc. Bill

Reply to
Bill Donahue

I am modeling the Credit Valley Railway which existed from 1871-1883 and was then absorbed into the Canadian Pacific. Their color scheme was simply black locomotives with a large white "Credit Valley" on the tender and white name on the side of the cab. Rolling stock was boxcar red for the box and stock cars or dark stained natural wood for flats and gondolas.

It is building plans I am looking for. I wish to try and scratch build the structures.

I have found that "Narrow Guage and Short Line Gazette" is by far the best magazine, and they have a couple of plans per month. But I was hoping to locate more.

Reply to
wannand