Best Rated threads in Model railroading in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

DCC bus wire size
What size wire do I need to use for the bus? I thought that 1mm lighting cable would be ok but I am getting confused when I look at the spec from RS for 29swg tinned copper wire (390-555 is actually...
21
21

Finescale track
Hi there, I'm currently trying to decide what track to use on my new OO finescale layout. Can someone tell me what are the differences between SMP and C&L flexi track? Also, I was considering using...
120
120

Heljan class 47, is it really over width?
Hi, I was talking to one fo the reps on the Heljan stand at Warley last saturday, and they had their new class 33's on the stand. I ased him if Heljan had managed to make these the correct width this...
20
20

DCC minimum starting voltage
I have been playing with some of the CVs on my Bachmann 158 equipped with a Lenz Gold decoder. From what I have read, I thought that the minimum starting voltage (CV2)should be adjusted until the unit...
13
13

Hornby class 110: second look
Hmmm. I'm increasingly drawn to the Hornby Class 110. Nicely detailed (by toy train standards, which is my level), and correct for my NE region branch line - also looks tough enough to stand operation...
13
13

Help! - fitting DCC to older hornby class 47?
Hello all, Just started with DCC. I've fitted a couple of wired decoders successfully. But I'm stuck with an older Hornby class 47. There's only 1 pick-up wire which goes from the trailing bogie to...
9
9

Connectors for Tortoise point motors
Can anyone help? I bought some Tortoise point motors recently. I want to make it easy to change them in the event of something going wrong with one. The suggested method of connecting is to solder...
4
4

Heljan Class 47
Have just received my new class 47 and now must remove the body to insert the headcodes. As the instructions are a bit sparse on remove the body are there any tips, tricks, or warnings that you lot...
6
6

Midland Wagon Lift - How does it work?
Following on from Keith supplying the URL of the Midland railway wagon lift has anyone got any ideas as to how it might have worked? It looks as though the wagon platform ran on rails and was raised...
8
8

Green Arrow Error?
Hi all, Why does the 'new' Bachmann model of the Green Arrow have the wrong chimney? All of my photos show a single circular outlet - including the original Photo from 1936 that my Grandfather had...
24
24

Gibson Footbridge kit
Me again, Trying to source a platform mounted footbridge kit for a GER station. I think I found one from Gibson; their etched footbridge kit, (Mainly Trains GI4MM091 (Gibson) MR Etched Footbridge Kit)...
13
13

Can someone tell me what NEM sockets are?
Have been following various threads. Can't quite work out what NEM sockets are - is it something to do with DCC or couplings or both? Cheers!
12
12

Hornby R 277 Bungalow - anyone got one FS?
Has anyone got the Hornby R 277 Bungalow unmade kit knocking around and don't need it? I'd love one, but as it is now discontinued, I can't get one so far. If anyone has one and is willing to let it...
12
12

Hornby Zero 1 - help!
A visit to the loft revealed my '80s Hornby track, locos, rolling stock etc. I see that I junked the controllers in favour of the Zero 1 control system inc one slave unit. Not all locos have modules,...
13
13

Bachmann 08 Shunter
I have just bought a black shunter number 13029 but I can't find any reference to this loco. I have looked in a 1951, 1960 and 1963 Combined volumes plus a 1952, 1961 and 1963 shed allocation book. Is...
10
10

Gunpowder wagons
In the BR era, were there any restrictions on how gunpowder vans were worked, in terms of where in a train they were marshalled, did they have to have barrier wagons, was loose shunting permitted etc....
10
10

Bulk Soda Ash wagons question
Hi again, Having seen the Bulk Soda Ash train on Garry Brookes' excellent website, I now have a burning desire to model some of those wagons. What can I say - I have wagonitis. Does anyone have any...
11
11

Corridor connectors
Evening group. Anyone know of a supplier of corridor connectors for N gauge stock? TIA H
2
2

00 live steam - not Hornby
At the Chiltern MR exhibition at St Albans last weekend, Brian Caton was showing a large layout displaying his 00 and 009 live steam models that he has been making for the last 20 years (I'd seen an...

Hornby N2 - any good?
As the subject, really - I want some more locos, the N2 and the 8F both look good, both use 5-pole motors so should run smoothly at low speeds - any downsides? I don't care about super-detail, I just...
10
10