Bachmann 2006

Indeed, The Bachmann illustration shows an Ivatt in Western Region livery.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

I take it that the 4MT is a re-run of some earlier model and not brand new as Bachmann have a photo of an actual model on the web site.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

So long as it's priced accordingly, where's the problem?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

"Kevin" wrote

The 4MT is a band new BR Standard 2-6-0 in the number series 76xxx - no-one has produced a ready-to-run model of this loco before.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

I remember seeing 46500 as a kid in BR lined green livery, travelling north (light engine) through Altofts & Whitwood station (near Normanton, West Yorkshire) and heading for Leeds.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

What, you think the e-mail might be less than genuine?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The problem is:-

a) It looks nothing like an Ivatt

b) They're not doing it with the intention of increasing consumer choice. They're doing it solely to deprive a rival manufacturer of sales.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Oh - for goodness sake - is it necessary to take the p... all of the time?

1] Hornby have made no such announcement.

2] *If* they did - and I doubt it - it would be because they thought that they make money by doing so. Simon Kohler has to answer to the board for his decisions; either there would be a market or there wouldn't. If the latter, the egg would be on his face, not yours.

3] By reintroducing 'oldies' it takes nothing away from the investment made in new products; the tools are sitting there gathering dust.

4] It's sound commercial sense to take advantage of a commercial rival's publicity of a particular prototype in order to pick up the market for a more basic rendition which could appeal to a less discerning market; especially if you don't need to make any investment yourself.

5] How many complaints do you hear that Tesco sells Value, standard range and Finest versions of many of its products? You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice !!

Regards, John Isherwood.

Piemanlarger wrote:

Reply to
cctransuk

I'm really glad you mentuiobned Tesco John :o)

It has long been acknowledged that Tesco deliberately underprices certain items in order to lure customers into its stores and then claws back the cost on other items. It's called "loss leading". There was also the recent case in which Tesco leafleted a small village with money-off vouchers with the deliberate intention of putting their local grocer out of business. The vouchers were not available to anyone living outside the village. Perhaps this the way you want the model railway industry to be run?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

thats what

Surely 'B' cancels out 'A', assuming 'A' is correct of course (it's been a long time since I set eyes on the Hornby version).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

back the

vouchers with

business. The

So perhaps we should all be paying the full MRRP for our model railway items, discounting should be banned by law, with all the problems that would bring?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

They *are* increasing consumer choice. You get the choice between an old, less detailed but cheaper model and a new super detailed more expensive model.

Like I said, where's the problem?

I, for one, would be ahppy with "value" locos and rolling stock if meant I could be twice as many and get twice the satisfaction from my layout.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The crucial point, that you choose to omit, being that those other item cost no more at Tesco than they do elsewhere. Any store that doesn't use loss leaders but charges the same for the other items is ripping you off even more!

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

Really? Have you compared the price of the Hornby 47s with the Bachmann

57 - not identical locos of course, but near enough for this purpose. Now I agree that Hornby offer older and less detailed models, but I'd be interested to see where you get the 'cheaper' bit from?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I presume someone else does the grocery shopping in your house... The way that the big boys work is that they set low prices for various KVIs (Known Value Items), the sort of things that even politicians know the price of (milk, sliced bread etc), then make the money back on less obvious things. Fruit and veg are one of these- last summer, Tescos were advertising apricots at £1.49 per lb. , marked'half-price', whilst my local greengrocer was knocking them out for 79p. This is how the UK supermarket businesses return gross margins approximately twice that of the likes of Carrefour or Auchan in France- I've worked on the other side of the counter, so have a fair idea of the mark-ups and margins involved. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

more

Bachmann

purpose. Now I

Err, more to the point, what is the difference between a Haljan 47 and the Hornby 47, AFAICS Haljan seems to retail at about twice the price....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

While some of us get ttwice as much satisfaction from the high detail models, quality not quantity.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

With lousy running qualities and in the case of the Ivatt bearing no similarity to the outline of the original.

You can find them easily enough at swapmeets and on eBay. There's no need for Hornby to continue producing them.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Correct, then retailers would have to compete on quality of service.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Irrelevent in my opinion. The Bachmann 47 will be on the market fairly soon and that will effectively spell the end for the Heljan model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner