George Sellios' layout

OMG, you're in Ozaukee County? ;-)

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Guilty as hell - now pass the towels round, we only have a few seconds before the Hyperdrive kicks-in!

Fancy a double Gargle-Blaster?

David (hic!).

Reply to
David F.

Can you see me?? I thought the Cloaking Device still worked!

It's actually cleverly disguised as a Hornby Dublo Branch Line model of the Green Arrow. But like the Tardis, there's a lot more to it than that!

David. Answer = 101010 Binary.

Reply to
David F.

Which layout is that? I haven't received MR yet.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Well, that's what I always thought, but they say "Oz" down there so I say it too. When in Rome............

................F>

Reply to
Froggy

Malcom Furlow's latest bizarreness.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Caught without your towel again, eh!! How unfrug of you.

Make it a Pan-Galactic and you're on!!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Nope! Once the exact improbability is calculated it's useless.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Exactly. Only then it was called Acadia, hence, New Acadia in Louisiana. They called themselves Acadian, which became "Anglicized" over the years, and is where the word "Cajun" comes from.

The point was that they were French settlers in the New World, not that they were from Quebec. Some Quebecois may be descended from this group, but most are probably not. Just as in Louisiana, the French-linked population is rather small and concentrated in the southern part of the state. Most Louisianans are not Acadians, but they certainly do know how to capitalize on them.

.............F>

Reply to
Froggy

As have I , Dan. And that's precisely my point - if it isn't fastened on, it won't stay there. Most modellers don't incorporate this. Look at the MR cover picture referred to, and ask yourself how long anything in the toolbox on the cab roof would stay there?

Obviously our experiences differ here, Dan. My railway would fail a steam locomotive in that condition. If a washout plug was leaking badly enough to create visible streaking, it would be removed from traffic. The boiler inspection and management regime in NSW would not tolerate leaking plugs, handholes or manholes. Likewise for broken stays. The sort of weathering I am referring to is exaggerated beyond all semblance of realism.

And I strongly disagree with you when you state that leaking washout plugs are not a serious hazard. And from my admittedly brief reading of the relevant ICC regulatory documents regarding boilers, so did they.

Again, precisely my point. Although it is obvious from Ernie Fisch's posts on the subject that, in certain specific cases, mineral staining from bad water was very pronounced, it is still the exception rather than the rule. And for models of non-US steam engines, it is entirely inappropriate to paint a model streaky white, and then claim you are replicating mineral staining, as so many modellers here in Australia do. If for no other reason than the type of water treatment used may differ considerably from one prototype railway to the next.

(And for what it is worth, in my experience, ALL feedwater requires treatment before use, regardless of it's source. We steam on town water, which has a typical hardness of between 3 & 4 - locos with steel fireboxes and tubes are treated with an anti-flocculant and an oxygen scavenger in liquid form, while locos with copper boxes and tubes are treated with a lime-soda ash-tannin mix. When tubes require replacement, we find that they have lost more thickness on the fire side due to cinder cutting than on the water side due to corrosion.)

All of this relates back to the point I made earlier about modellers who model other people's models. Once a particular style of painting or weathering becomes fashionable, it seems to get applied to every model, regardless of how suitable or appropriate it is. Instead of slavishly coying what the other bloke does, why not

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

"Brian Paul Ehni" <

Oh no, he's not back, is he?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

[snip]

Name calling? Centuries of war topped off by the Holocaust trumps anything we have. Have things really changed much in the south of Germany?

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

What's an "English muffin"?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

equating drive by

I was only considering the present generation, which is now at the point of excluding those responsible for the holocaust. The USa is now right near the top of the list of nations responsible for slaughter. Europe is near the bottom.

When were they so bad?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter" \

Dunno. Nothing like them in "England". It's an American type "thing".

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

So what have yanks against crumpet?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

This is the same generation who now denies the holocaust? Doesn't THAT and the rise of neo-nazi organizations in Germany tell you something?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Tell me what you know about the Silver Bridge without consulting the internet or talking to anyone about it.

Everyone has a definition for it. The only thing that's asked here is for each person to expound on his ideas. I can only assume that I am among the stupidest people on Earth for being utterly unable to communicate this idea in spite of repeated tries.

If you're having fun, you're doing it right.......I think I'm gonna puke!

...............F>

Reply to
Froggy

"Ernie Fisch" <

That's what I've always assumed that the staining around washout plugs was, sludge from the boiler washout. A dilute whitish, greyish slurry.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Absolutely nothing. Just some marketing tool like the latest Irn Bru adds in England. They are a little different, though. We kind of pop "*nglish muffins in the toaster and we make our own crumpets in the little tunafish rings.

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart