George Sellios' layout

Yep. You could say he's off furlough. ;-)

Eric

Roger T. wrote:

Oh no, he's not back, is he?

Reply to
Eric

Awww Jim,

What's "Irn Bru"?

Tunafish rings? I didn't even know they had fingers.

Hey, at least I know what a toaster is :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Unwarranted guilt"? OK, go stick your head back in the sand and wait for history to repeat itself!

"Tiny exceptions" are exactly what the number of drive-bys and occasional mass killings are; they just get more press, quite like the very similar outbreaks of loonies that have occurred in Australia and England. There are more here because there are more people (though I'll admit I haven't done any percentages to see which country has more of them).

Brian

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

How 'bout "The Railroad at the End of the Universe"?

Reply to
Rusty

It fell down. It was over the Ohio River someplace upriver from here. It fell in the early 1970s. It was a suspension bridge. People died when it fell. They built a replica of it to analyze it's failure. It was not a new bridge when it fell, it had stood for quite a few years. I believe it was the only bridge over the Ohio for a considerable distance in either direction.

What I'm trying to communicate is that I can't get very passionate about terminology in this case. If I were to come up with some kind of specific definition, it would be contrived on the spot and not from some long-held beliefs.

I didn't say it....

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Now I'm stupid and FOS for *refusing* to participate in an online debate?

That's a new one.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Scottish orange soda drink.

The round portion of the can after both ends are canopenered away...I would have said catfood rings, but that might have bothered some people.

I don't know if they have fingers, either.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No thanks. I need a muscle relaxant (beer).

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

How about "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the George Sellios Thread"?

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Would you care to explain to me how a German born after (say) 1935 could be guilty of the holocaust?

Can you explain to me how _you_ are not guilty of the deaths of something like half a million Afghanis and Iraqis?

Europe has approximately the same number of people as the USa. India has four times the number of people of the USa. China has eight times ...

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Yeah right - they don't even grow oranges in Scotland! (not sure about soda)

I usually just open one end and spoon the required amount out for the cat.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Canopenered ?

Canopenered.......how's that for etymology on the fly? Don't even try to tell me that is a "regular" English word

..........F>

Reply to
Froggy

BEER!!!!???

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

We differ on the relative degree of such staining that is appropriate. Most all the steam locos I've ever seen exhibit (visually) at least some of this. My personal experience with steam was in the late 40's and

50's. There were a lot of them still around, but many were not well maintained, cosmetically. Even the best maintained passenger locos showed SOME of this. You could wipe it off at one stop, and a mile down the track it was back.

Overall, I see far more models un-'weathered' that SHOULD be, at least a little, than those that are over-'weathered'. Unfortunately, those that like to OVER weather, do so with vigor. Such models draw one's attention disproportionately.

As for your statement "And for models of non-US steam engines, it is entirely inappropriate to paint a model streaky white" ... with few exceptions this is inappropriate for USA locos as well, depending on what you mean by 'streaky white'. SOME whitish mineral deposits running downward from various steam fittings (pop valves, whistle, generator, etc.) were common ... pretty much the norm, really. They didn't necessarily mean poor maintenance. Blow the whistle, or lift a pop valve, and water WILL drip or run down the boiler. The boiler is hot, and such water will boil or evaporate quickly. If there are a lot of minerals (or boiler compound) in the water (likely), you get an almost instant white steak or stain that is very visible.

Now, heavily crusted deposits that were allowed to build up over a period of time could sometimes be seen, and this was just poor maintenance. It was NOT the norm. Many model locos are WAY over-weathered ('streaky white"?). This is especially true of 'characiture' models like those of John Allen or Malcom Furlow. They're overdone ... perhaps intentionally so.

I also think most of us understand that many foreign (to the USA) locos and many other things were, and often are, better maintained than the equivalent item in the USA. Good maintenance is labor intensive. Labor here tends to be more expensive, so less was done, and sadly, many here take less pride in such 'appearance' things. Even in Canada, near the USA border, where life style is quite similar, I often see examples of greater pride in community and maintenance of structures, etc. than in the USA.

What bothers me more than excessive 'weathering' (which DID have it's prototypes, if rarely) is STUPID 'weathering'. I see a lot of models that are POORLY 'weathered', without any attempt to understand how, where, or why real weathering occurs. Whitish water deposits make a LOT more sense coming from a pop valve, staybolt or washout plug than from a bell or handrail stanchion. Aluminum, and stainless steel do not rust. Sheet metal dents ... heavy castings do not. Steel bends, but does not melt and sag (at normal temperatures). On small scale models wood grain should be almost invisible (almost!). Etc.

As for staybolts, ICC or FRA regulations allow(ed) individual staybolts to be broken (leaking), but not two adjacent, or more than five such in some specified area. However, any such had to be repaired at the next scheduled boiler wash. Or, exemptions (exceptions) may be granted after inspection. Such faults, with corresponding leakage and staining, were not especially uncommon in 'steam days', and are not today, on licensed tourist locos. The boiler codes were/are so written that the boiler structure could tolerate such minor problems. Not to say it doesn't sometimes make ME uncomfortable.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Mark Newt>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

"E Litella" <

Watch "Coronation Street".

Fish fingers or beans on toast, UK staples.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I don't know which is worse - the food, or the television show!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

It is the only local soft drink that outsells Coke and Pepsi in its home market. Tastes a little like Neihi. Described by some as orange juce with rusty nails dissolved in it.

You feed your cats CATFOOD? Too expensive, filled with fillers, and generally unhealthy. Feed the cats Tuna. Make sandwiches with the catfood....

Use the tins to griddle Crumpets...

Jim Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You're not safe even there! I've seen females driving around the course, sometimes scantily clad, dispensing beer for money. You can't get away from it!

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

BUT, they are there for *support*.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Yepp, I think I hear the Captain reciting his poetry again!

Abandon Ship!

David

Reply to
David F.