Is It Still Stupid If It Works

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/attachment.php?attachmentid@14&d 43445597
Don't know yet if it worked.

Mine is a no-name copy of this more rigid and compact 5C indexer on an angle plate: https://www.kalamazooind.com/products/5c-collet-fixtures/5c-5c-collet-indexing-fixture/
I milled the base of a second indexer parallel to fit securely in the milling vise, to hold the work horizontal for cross-drilling or cutting hex wrench flats.
On 11/28/2018 4:29 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> [...]
Nice.
I just have two of those cheap spindexers. I can get them straight enough bolting them to the table, but it takes a while. I'm hoping for non-critical jobs I can just throw them in the mill vises (have two on the table of that machine) facing each other to support round stock that needs a lot of holes drilled. I'm a little to OCD to be lining up a pair of import mill vises all the time after taking them off. LOL.
Just got the vises back on the table. A pair of six inchers about 5 inches apart. The first one landed on the table within half thousandth of square. Unfortunately the hard jaw has a 4 tenths bow so I fiddled with it for 20 minutes. LOL. The second one wasn't even close. Got it closed and spent another half hour getting it square and in line. Now I have about 6 tenths out of square over 17 inches. It might be a hair better. Doesn't really matter. I use soft jaws and skim cut them (step in the bottom for clearance so I can) square in place anyway.
Anyway, tomorrow I'll find out if I made those indexers easier to use or if I was just spinning my wheels.
By the way, it was somebody in this group who suggested the setup I used to mill them square. Set the cylinder on a pair of parallels and clamp the foot to a right angle block. Then mill both sides of both indexers to the same machine height. I hope it worked. If not I can always just bolt them to the table and break out the indicator and the brass hammer like I did before.