New mini lathe damaged in transit

Hey. I recently bought a mini lathe but it arrived with minor damage. The c hange gear cover was broken into bits and the plastic gear on the auto feed
screw was also broken in bits. The power box was broken at the bolt holes so was hanging off. Instead of sending it back which was a real hassle I contacted the company and had replacement parts sent as I felt it was just superficial damage. After fixing it up and using it a few times I noticed a wobble. I thought i t was runout but looking at the spindle from behind after taking off the ch ange gear cover I noticed a slight wobble in the spindle. The gear on the b ack end of the spindle seems to mesh tighter with the gear under it at one point in a single revolution. Now I am thinking that it was dropped during transit obviously but as the f eed screw gear was broken it must have caused a shock up the gear train and maybe bending the spindle? Im not 100% sure tho as the bearings seem to move slightly during revolutio n also.
Anyone have any recomendations?
[...]
=============https://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/spindle_runout.htm You'll need a dial indicator anyway to center work in a 4-jaw chuck. I've found expensive high-quality ones second-hand and can't suggest a source for an adequate new one.
On Thu, 16 May 2019 04:55:15 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm only an untrained hobbysit with basically no training. A "real" machinist, or engineer, might disagree/advise you differently... I'm not an expert; but this is how _I_ tend to approach problems like the one you're having (with the assumption that I want to fix it myself rather than ship it back the seller).
1st, I would very carefully check that the headstock wasn't cracked/broken. I might even pull the spindle and bearing races to give me more visual access to look for cracks. I'd also look for cracks where the head attaches to the bed. Carefully looking over the major parts of the late for fractures. If I find any cracks - it's "game over" for me.
My intial look at the spindle: it's push, pull, spin the spindle by hand - just feeling/listening for any sign of obvious damage; that the preload is properly set, etc; and looking for any other obvous physical damage.
If all the above seemed OK, I would look for an inspection record for my lathe. The inpection record will have diagrams for the tests that done on the lathe at the factory. East test on the sheel will have a maximum acceptable deviation for that test. I would repeat each test on that sheet - and make note of any that were out of tolerance. They're the ones that will need further diagnosis to sort out the cause of the deviation. If you can't find an inspection record for your lathe - you might find one "close enough" on the internet. One for another 7x12 should be comperable.
Let's say you did all that, and the conclusions you come to are: the spindle is possibly deformed/bent. To confirm, I would pull the spindle, set it in vee blocks on a surface plate and carefully evaluate it using a dial test indicator. That setup can usually dectect bends & out of round conditions - it just takes care and patience.
That's the general idea how I would approach things.
Bill
--
Email address is a Spam trap.